Date: 18-22 November 2019
Location: Port Lincoln, SA
This year the Specialist Group in Tectonics and Structural Geology is joining forces with the Specialist Group in Solid Earth Geophysics to bring you 'Convergence on the Coast'. We aim to bring together the research community in structural geology, tectonics and solid earth geophysics within Australia and internationally to discuss the latest research and developments in these fields. The primary focus of this technical conference is to enable collaboration and exchange of ideas between the geoscience research, government and industry communities.
Themes and Invited Speakers
The conference program will be built around a number of themes, headlined by an invited keynote speaker. We are excited to announce the following confirmed themes and keynotes.
• Observational geophysics. Keynote: Assoc. Professor Meghan Miller. RSES Australian National University
• Geodynamics and thermodynamics. Keynote: Dr Elena Sizova, Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz
• Domes, basins and dynamic topography. Keynote: Dr Mark Hoggard, Harvard University.
• The Australia-Antarctic connection. Keynote: Dr Naomi Tucker. University of Western Australia
• Experimental studies of rocks and structure. Keynote: Kathryn Hayward. RSES Australian National University
• Tectonic controls on mineral systems. Keynote: Dr Louise Corriveau. Geological Survey of Canada
• Multi-scale structures and fluid-rock interaction. Keynote: Professor Stephen Cox. RSES Australian National University
• Plate margin and intra-plate orogenesis. Keynote: Professor Gianreto Manatschal. University of Strasbourg
There are a number of planned field trips, workshops and social events associated with the conference.
• Pre-conference Field Trip: Lithospheric structures, orogenic fronts and mineral systems: a traverse through the south-eastern Gawler Craton. Wed 13th - Sun 17th November 2019
• Mid-conference field trip: One day field trip on Wednesday 20th November, visiting the spectacular local coastal outcrops of the Southern Gawler Craton
• Free Loop 3D modelling workshop: Loop is a new platform that will enable field geologists, researchers from academia and government organisations, explorers, resource modellers & managers to better define their 3D geological environment as well as assessing the requirement for optimised additional data/knowledge acquisition. The platform will be Open Source, scalable and applicable to problems from the mine-scale to the plate-scale, in data-rich and poor environment. It will serve to solve problems related to urban geology, basins resources exploration and exploitation as well as minerals and scientific exploration in poly-deformed metamorphosed terranes.
• Conference dinner and awards night: Wednesday 20th of November at the stunning Line and Label Restaurant, featuring local beer and wines as well as a selection of canapés and a seafood paella, cooked and served by their award winning chefs and featuring all local produce.
Important Dates and Information
Registrations deadline extended to 31 Oct 2019
• Pre-conference field trip registrations close 31/10/2019
• Full registration closes 31/10/2019 - GSA member $850; non-GSA member $1150; Student/Retired $450
• Spouse/Social Event only ticket closes 31/10/2019 - $190
• Workshops and Dinner registration closes 31/10/2019
The SGTSG and SGSEG would like to encourage student attendance at this years conference. To this end we are offering a number of student bursaries to assist with the costs of attending the Conference. The SGTSG are committed to providing students every opportunity to gain more field experience. In addition to the conference bursaries, the SGTSG are offering a number of bursaries to directly assist SGTSG student members with the costs of attending the pre- and post-conference field trips. We encourage all students to apply (click here), but please get in early to avoid missing out on the limited field trip spaces available.
We hope that the conference will provide a nurturing networking experience for all attendees and look forward to seeing you in beautiful Port Lincoln in November 2019.
For more information on field trips, workshops social events, abstract submissions and student bursaries please visit the conference website at:
Registrations: Please click here